Although a settlement existed here in Saxon times, there is no reference to the village in the Domesday survey. The earliest record is of a dispute between two priests who both claimed the living of Whitbourne. Gilbert Foliot, Bishop of Hereford had to intervene and his letter is dated 1163. A ford and ferry once crossed the Teme at the end of Boat Lane. Whitbourne has always been a Bishops Manor, it was here the Bishops of Hereford had their summer palace. Bishop Francis Godwin died here in 1633 and is buried in the church. Bishop of Hereford between 1617-33, he is best remembered for his novel of' The Man in the Moon' published in 1638 after his death. It is reputed to be the world's first science fiction novel and relates the story of a man who trained four swans to tow him in a wicker basket to the moon, from where he could explore the universe. St. John the Baptist's church dates from 1180 and would have replaced an earlier church. Built of locally quarried sandstone. The Nave is very large for a country parish church with the Norman arch above the eastern window being original. In 1865 the church was restored with the north aisle being added and the chancel arch and north wall rebuilt. It cost £1,500 pounds!
COLLINS GREEN VIEW POINT S0740573
This is one of the best views in the lower Teme valley and is best viewed from the lay-by near the water reservoir on the B4197. The view extends to Bredon Hill and the Cotswold escarpment. On a clear day Worcester Cathedral can be seen. There are a number of public footpaths in the area that also give superb views.
KNIGHTWICK SO 734561
In 964 it was given to the Monks of Worcester by King Edgar and was exempt from taxation. In 1086 it was part of the manor of Grimley. St. Mary's Church was built and consecrated in 1855, opening in 1856. The church is built with Ankerdine stone and faced with Bromyard Down stone. It cost £200 pounds. The chapel at Knightwick cemetery dates from 1879.
KNIGHTSFORD BRIDGE SO 735557
John Ogilby, in the 15th century refers to a Wooden Bridge. Celia Feinnes in 1698 refers to a stone bridge at Knightwick. The modern bridge and new road opened in 1958. The original road crossing was by the Talbot Hotel, which dates from the late 16th century but which was re-fronted with brick in the 18th century.
OSEBURY ROCK S0736556
'The old name was Rosebury Rock with the R being dropped in the early part of the 20th century. This large outcrop forces the Teme to make a sharp turn east. It forms the southern boundary of the Knightsford Gap, where the narrowest part of the floodplain of the Teme can be seen. The rock is an S.S.S.1 and is best viewed from the A44 road bridge at Knightsford. It is one of the few sites in Worcestershire where the plant Navelwort, (Umbilicus) grows.
LULSLEY CHURCH S0745554
The old parish of Lulsley is situated on the south bank of the Teme behind Osebury Rock. The church of St. Giles was built in 1892-3, it closed in 1972 and is now a private house. Lulsley was the birthplace of Jabez Allies in 1787, author of the Antiquities of Worcestershire, in which he linked many of the place names of the County with the names of Fairies.
BROADWAS ON TEME S0755552
In 786 King Offa gave Broadwas to the church of Worcester. It appears that the parish or manor remained in the possession of the church until 1776. The parish church of St. Mary Magdalene dates from around 1200. It stands close to the river down a quiet lane. Nearby is Broadwas Court a Georgian mansion. Inside the church, the wooden roof trusses are beautiful. In the river field opposite the church once stood the manorial corn mill. All trace has now gone but in 1998, the local farmer uncovered the old well whilst ploughing, but sadly it was filled. The Royal Oak was built as a stop for the stage coaches in the 18th century, but it has been much altered of late.
COTHERIDGE CHURCH SO 785547
Called Coddanhycge in 963 and Codderegge by 1086 and Cotteridge in 1760. St. Leonard's Church is the only white painted church along the river Teme. It is believed to date from 1125 but the south window and buttress's are of 1346. The timber Bell tower was added in the 15th century and the solid oak floor boards are 11 cm/4.5in thick and each individually tongue and grooved. The weather boards were added during the reign of Queen Anne. The North Chapel - now the vestry is of 1620. In 1947 the roof of the Nave collapsed but the parish raised the funds for a complete restoration by 1961. However in 1979 extensive repairs were needed to stop the roof collapsing again, this work was completed by 1987.
LEIGH COURT TITHE BARN S0784535
Reputed to be the largest medieval cruck barn in England and possibly Europe. Built at the end of the 13th century, by the Abbot's of Pershore for storage of Parish tithes. It is 150ft long, 34ft wide and 34ft high with an acre of red tiles on the roof. The roof of the barn is supported by nine full cruck trusses and two half-hipped trusses at either end. The two wagon porches are also of cruck construction. Inside is a horse drawn cider mill and press. It has been restored by English Heritage and is open to the public during the spring and summer months.
BRANSFORD BRIDGE S0804533
Home page Next page Previous page